I understand the hype around Isaac Okoro as a top 10 pick. The demand for athletic, switchable wings continues to far exceed the supply, and Okoro fits the bill to a tee with his powerful 6'6" frame. He also brought home impressive accolades during his lone season at Auburn, including 2nd Team All-SEC and SEC All-Defense.
Despite those awards, our model grades him out as only the 23rd ranked wing in this year's draft, suggesting that he's only someone worth taking a flyer on in the Second Round and nothing more:
- Okoro's reputation as a strong defender is backed up by a solid 69/100 defensive grade by our model, good for 9th best amongst this year's wing crop
- His defense impacts the box score, as his defensive BPM of 3.4 also lands in the 78th percentile for wings
- He's an impressive shot blocker for a wing, with 1.0 blocks per 36
- He's an efficient offensive player. He gets to the free throw line often, with 5.5 attempts per 36 (74th percentile for wings), and registered a 60% true shooting percentage (72nd percentile for wings)
- Despite that efficiency, he wasn't a prolific scorer because he doesn't shoot the ball often, with only 9.9 shot attempts per 36
- He's a bad shooter from three. Our model graded him at a 31/100 (ranking 41st amongst 2020 wings). He doesn't take many threes (2.8 per 36) and the few he takes go in at a below average rate (29%). His 67% free throw clip doesn't inspire hope for significant improvement either
- He's a poor rebounder given his physical gifts. He only pulled down 5.1 per 36 (28th percentile for wings)
- Creating steals isn't one of his strengths, tallying only 1.1 per 36 (34th percentile for wings)
Defense will be Okoro's calling card in the NBA. His only role in the league will be as a complimentary player due to his reluctance to shoot. His ability to improve as a shooter is what will determine whether or not he can become a useful starter. If he does, I can see him becoming a useful power wing similar to Jae Crowder. If not, he may have a short career.
- Our Comp: Jae Crowder
- Suggested Draft Range: Second Round
- Immediate Impact: Moderate (defensive specialist)
- Long Term Potential: Moderate (3&D wing, 12 PPG / 5 RPG)